Well Hello Hormones!

Monday, March 25, 2013

Holy moly. I wasn't prepared for the rush of emotions I would feel upon coming home with my brand new baby. I thoroughly enjoyed the help of the nurses (and let's be honest, the lactation consultants, too) in the hospital. I welcomed their every visit. I took comfort in the fact that they would check my baby multiple times a day and always tell me he was okay. They were sure to tell me I was doing okay, too.

When I came home how was I supposed to know that my baby was still okay?? There wasn't anyone to check his vitals anymore. There was no longer a nursery to rely on so that I could get an hour or two of actual sleep. The nurses weren't there to swaddle my baby so perfectly. What if he wouldn't latch on and nurse properly? How long do I need to continue pumping for? I had so many questions!

And the tears. Oh, the tears! By the third day home I was already crying about Steve going back to work. How was I supposed to take care of this little baby all by myself? All day long! I worried about not having Steve's help. I was sad about losing his constant company. All of this six days before he was to return to work. Even with just a fleeting thought of what things would be like once Steve returned to work would bring on the tears. I never cried over silly things at any point during pregnancy...what was happening to me now?!

1 comment:

A.K. said...

Yes, waaaaay worse than any pregnancy hormones!!