Couch Shopping

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

It's not easy, folks. We've been searching for a couch for our family room for quite some time. We visited every furniture store in the area, including department stores. We sat on sofa after sofa. Some looked very nice. Some were super comfy. But none seemed to be exactly what we were looking for and feel comfy. We flipped back and forth between wanting a sofa and a love seat to wanting a sectional to wishing for a really big sectional to wanting a sofa and a recliner, etc. After searching for what seemed like forever, I finally agreed to let us step foot in Pottery Barn. I had refused to do so until we had exhausted our search elsewhere. I was tired of shopping for a couch. I understand that some people shop for almost a year for just the perfect couch. Unfortunately, we can't wait that long because we have nothing to sit on in the meantime. Our family room is a big dance floor at the moment. Here, I'll show you.

We used blue tape on the floor to see how different configurations would fit. Here's the layout of the sectional we decided to buy.

Once we found the sofa we liked, it still took us many trips to the store to pick just the right layout, to be sure of our color choice, to make sure it still felt as comfy as we remembered. In the end, I think it will be just perfect for us. My one hesitation was the fact that the seat cushions are mighty deep. It's a good thing because it makes the couch super comfy. But it's not as good if you're wanting to sit up proper to have a nice conversation with someone. We settled on the fact that we could have lots of pillows on the couch to place behind your back to help you sit up a little straighter.

Here's a picture of our couch from the website.

I didn't want to go to Pottery Barn originally because I know that I love everything there and I was certain we'd fall in love with a sofa there (and we did). However, it turned out not to be so bad after all. The sectional we chose was on sale for 20% off. We had a 10% off new movers coupon that we were able to use on top of the 20% off. Additionally, we had TONS of PB gift cards thanks to Steve's credit card rewards points. So, in the end, it actually cost less for us than buying a sofa elsewhere!

I can't wait until it arrives! One more month...

No comments: