Worst Phone Call Ever.

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Every day when Steve leaves work, he calls me. We chat about our day, work, funny things that happened, what we're going to eat for dinner, etc. I look forward to that particular phone call every day. On Friday evening at 5:46pm, I received my daily call. I answered excitedly...as I do most often. I had taken Sayde school supply shopping that afternoon, so Steve started to ask me how it went. Then I heard it.

CRASH.

I heard him yell, then he was gone. What just happened? "Steve...hello?!" I checked my phone; we were still connected, but he wasn't there. I started to panic. What just happened? Was he hurt? What do I do? Tears appeared; I started pacing.

There I was - standing alone in our kitchen - panicking, shaking and pacing - helpless - while continuing to hold the phone next to my hear. Hoping. Praying. "Hello?" I finally heard the voice I had been waiting for! The time that had passed felt like a lifetime, but in reality it was only about a minute. What a relief to hear his comforting voice, but I still worried if he was okay.

Steve assured me he was okay, but had been hit from behind.

Here's the story: He was waiting at a red light to go straight just outside of his office. The light turned green for the left hand turn lane - the guy behind him just saw the cars starting to move and assumed his light was green as well, so he floored it. I'm still not sure who accelerates so abruptly at a light. This resulted in the guy plowing into Steve (who happened to be driving my poor 4runner to work that day while Dave put new brake pads on his car). Upon impact, the phone flew out of Steve's hand (and the coins I store in my ashtray went flying all over the front seat). Steve looked up and saw his light was still red, was confused about what just happened, got out of the car, and forgot for a moment that he was on the phone. I couldn't have been more relieved the moment he returned to the phone! Unfortunately, my car suffered quite some damage because it was a big, white work van that rear-ended him, but thankfully everyone was okay.

I hope I never have a phone call like that again. Ever.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

so glad Steve is okay!

A.K. said...

glad to hear he was okay but so scary!