Crayon Making

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Every time I change the crayons in my classroom, I feel so guilty throwing all the old ones into the trash. I knew there had to be some way to recycle crayons. I researched online and found a few places I could mail them to, but that required finding a box to send them in, going to the post office and paying postage to mail the package. I also found some ways of melting and reshaping the crayons. My oh-so-creative self (haha) chose the latter.

I peeled paper off TONS of crayons and bagged them by color (I also recruited some of my students to help peel the paper - they LOVED it!)
Pick out some crayons...
Break them into small pieces (I made a double boiler type thing with a small sauce pan and a tin can - make sure it's an old saucepan...I think mine is not suitable for food anymore)Put them in the canWait for them to melt
And pour the melted wax into the $1.99 plastic candy mold you bought at Michael's

Put them in the fridge to let them harden a little
Then put them in the freezer to harden them faster
Then pop them out and they're good as new! And super fun looking :-)I had lots of fun mixing crayons to make new colors - I made an awesome light blue (not pictured)
Go on...give it a try! You know you want to...

1 comment:

Kristie said...

one of the kindergarten teachers at my school did that too! she melted them all together in the oven i think into muffin wrappers. they turned out so cool! definitely reminded me of a multi-colored reese's cup:)