Camping

Saturday, November 22, 2008

A few weekends ago, Steve and I went camping in Shenandoah National Park with my aunt and cousins. It was a beautiful weekend, with warmer than average temperatures (so as not to make for a freezing night in the mountains). Our drive up the mountains was beautiful, although just past peak fall time:
Halfway up the mountain to our campsite, our gas was on empty and we decided we needed to go back down and find a gas station because we would never make it all the way up the mountain and then back down in the morning. So we turned around and drove back down, found a gas station and then drove back up the mountain to our campsite...only to find there's a Chevron station right by our campsite! We wasted an hour for nothing! At least the scenery was beautiful:
While driving to our camp site, there was a family standing in the middle of the road - after wondering why, we looked over and found this right beside our car:

We enjoyed a delicious stew cooked over the open fire
Rebecca and I enjoying some roasted marshmallows

Driving home the next morning:
It was a beautiful weekend with lovely scenery and great family time, but I can't say I'd do it again real soon. Maybe next year. In the middle of the night I came to the realization that we were really sleeping in the mountains where any wild animal could come join us (ex: the large deer from the side of the road) and needless to say, I didn't get much sleep after that. Not to mention Steve's terrible headache that kept him up all night. That's a story for another time.

1 comment:

Annie said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog! And for your encouragement! I am amazed by how many people could possibly be interested in our broken and imperfect life. I don't have much to share but what God is graciously doing in and through my family.... despite my failures. So thanks for reading. I loved your camping post. The pictures made me wish we had gone and done that this year! WOW! How beautiful!
~annie