Grand Cayman Islands

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Steve became very intrigued by the idea of a babymoon. Partially, I think he wanted an excuse for a tropical vacation since we didn't plan one this summer due to so many out of town weddings. Partially, I think he's a little hesitant about the fact that vacations from here on out will be quite different. Regardless, I was happy to tag along.

We chose to visit the Grand Cayman Islands after stumbling on a pretty great flight/hotel deal. We stayed at the Grand Cayman Beach Suites in the middle of Seven Mile Beach. Our main goal was to relax! We didn't plan any excursions. We didn't do any sight seeing. We spent tons of quality time together. We went to bed early, slept in late. We enjoyed many delicious dinners, soaked up some sunshine, and read The Hunger Games.

While our flight/hotel deal was so great, prices once we got there were ex.pen.sive! We had lunch at the pool bar at our hotel - cheeseburger and fruity drink for Steve, chicken quesadilla for me - and our bill was $52US!! I think our mouths must have dropped to the floor. After that we had to rethink our budget and make more careful choices. Which sort of stinks when you're on vacation.

Luckily the island was safe enough to walk everywhere we wanted to go. We walked up and down the beach each day. Walked to dinner each night. We even walked down the street to the grocery store and bought bagels, frozen waffles, and orange juice so we could have breakfast in our room and save our money for lunch and dinner each day.






We did splurge on breakfast one day and went to the clubhouse at the golf course. We were enjoying the beautiful view and nice breeze when all of a sudden this guy and his friend snuck up on us. I was a little (okay, a lot) creeped out by how close they came. I told Steve, "If they can jump, I'm out of here!" Thankfully, the waiter finally noticed them and ran them off. 
On our last night, we walked a ways to a local restaurant called The Sunshine Grill for dinner after reading all the rave reviews on tripadvisor. It's pretty much a pool bar/restaurant tucked away at a little hotel across the street from the beach. There were tons of people there, but we decided we'd wait and enjoyed the evening in some lounge chairs next to the pool. If only I could have had a fruity drink in hand, the wait would have been complete. When it was finally our turn to be seated we knew we were each ordering a burger since that's what all the reviews recommended. They did not disappoint! We had delicious burgers with their Sunshine Scramble (french fries, sweet potato fries, fried mushrooms, and fried jalapenos)...not the prettiest meal to photograph, nor the healthiest, but it was GOOD. Wish we had discovered this place before our last day!
It was so fun to take a tropical vacation in the fall and always lovely to sneak away from the every day things (for one last time!).

2 comments:

A.K. said...

U are so cute little momma!

I have a hava sling by sling eze and love it!!! It's so easy to put on and so comfortable- it's my favorite baby purchase ever!!!

rebecca h. westbrook said...

THAT BURGER + FRIES! They look like they taste amazing.