Back Story
Monday, October 22, 2012
I went to the doctor in August 2011 for my yearly well-woman check up. It was at this time that we decided we were ready to start a family. I was burning out as a kindergarten teacher and was hopeful that if I got pregnant I would at least have a few months off during the school year and some time to think about my job plans for the future. Also, I had always told Steve I didn't want a baby born in 2013. So we started trying. And I began the excitement of pregnancy tests. The first few months were exciting. But then it became disappointing. I had heard of so many people getting pregnant right away, what was wrong with me?!
Then it happened! On Sunday, April 29, 2012 I got the long awaited positive on what felt like the 87849th pregnancy test. I couldn't believe it. But things didn't turn out as I had dreamed. Things weren't right and I went to the doctor for blood work. On Friday, May 4, 2012 the doctor called to confirm that I had a miscarriage. I was devastated. To make matters worse, Steve was out of town for a bachelor party at the time.
While it seemed like everyone else in the world was announcing a pregnancy, I had to put on a bright smile and fight back tears. Again...what was wrong with me?!
The next month, the stars began aligning and we found out that I would be able to switch job positions to become a kindergarten assistant. This past school year was by far the most challenging (that's putting it lightly). I knew the stress of my job wasn't helping with our family plans. Anticipating beginning a family, I felt in my heart that the assistant position was what I needed - less stress, more time for family, still working with kids and doing what I love. The opportunity presented itself for me to switch to an assistant and be able to stay at the same school (which I wanted!). After talking it over many times with Steve, we decided it was the right choice. On June 19, 2012, I was officially offered the job (or demotion as the county so kindly referred to it).
Nine days later we found out I was pregnant.
Steve was shocked. I really feel like once I received confirmation of my new job all my stress was lifted and my body could finally relax. However, due to our previous experience, I wouldn't allow myself to get excited about it and I didn't fully believe I was pregnant (despite the almost daily pregnancy tests I would take for more confirmation) until we went to the doctor 4 weeks later for our eight week appointment and saw the little bean on the sonogram. Even then I still had my reservations.
Now here we are, at week 21, and I'm still in disbelief. I've been waiting what feels like my whole life to become a mom and it's coming true. It's amazing and I can't wait.
Then it happened! On Sunday, April 29, 2012 I got the long awaited positive on what felt like the 87849th pregnancy test. I couldn't believe it. But things didn't turn out as I had dreamed. Things weren't right and I went to the doctor for blood work. On Friday, May 4, 2012 the doctor called to confirm that I had a miscarriage. I was devastated. To make matters worse, Steve was out of town for a bachelor party at the time.
While it seemed like everyone else in the world was announcing a pregnancy, I had to put on a bright smile and fight back tears. Again...what was wrong with me?!
The next month, the stars began aligning and we found out that I would be able to switch job positions to become a kindergarten assistant. This past school year was by far the most challenging (that's putting it lightly). I knew the stress of my job wasn't helping with our family plans. Anticipating beginning a family, I felt in my heart that the assistant position was what I needed - less stress, more time for family, still working with kids and doing what I love. The opportunity presented itself for me to switch to an assistant and be able to stay at the same school (which I wanted!). After talking it over many times with Steve, we decided it was the right choice. On June 19, 2012, I was officially offered the job (or demotion as the county so kindly referred to it).
Nine days later we found out I was pregnant.
Steve was shocked. I really feel like once I received confirmation of my new job all my stress was lifted and my body could finally relax. However, due to our previous experience, I wouldn't allow myself to get excited about it and I didn't fully believe I was pregnant (despite the almost daily pregnancy tests I would take for more confirmation) until we went to the doctor 4 weeks later for our eight week appointment and saw the little bean on the sonogram. Even then I still had my reservations.
Now here we are, at week 21, and I'm still in disbelief. I've been waiting what feels like my whole life to become a mom and it's coming true. It's amazing and I can't wait.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Melissa and Mince (as Steve's friends call him) - is our blog to keep you up to date with all the fun in our lives.
1 comment:
so sorry to hear about your miscarriage.. but so happy to hear about your job situation and current pregnancy! HOORAY!!!
Post a Comment